This post is my first review here… of a movie, in which I will be asking the question concerning survival… how much if any education is in the entertainment?
Now, as we all know, movies exist to entertain us… but when it comes to survival movies, people expect a certain degree of reality, even if only so they can brag about how much they know about the subject, and then there are those who like to rant and rave about how real world knowledge is so grossly misrepresented by the movies.
When sitting down to watch a movie about three attractive girls in the woods surviving three guys in the woods… well, typically, one would expect at least one of the girls to fall down for no reason at all while running around screaming her head off, breasts all-a-floppin’ around in the moonlight. But, just keep in mind that my task here is to avoid saying… “It’s only a movie!”
I enjoyed Black Rock for what realistic a take it did take on survival. So, keeping in mind that I am not looking to rant or rave, but to comment only on the positive, I ask the question… concerning survival, how much education is in the entertainment?
The kind of survival knowledge you will find in Black Rock has to do primarily with the various aspects of achieving and maintaining a positive attitude and staying practical:
- Overcome panic and maintain control over your emotions. Resolve and will to live.
- Make a plan and stick to it. Panicking, especially while carrying out an already agreed upon plan, can lead to disastrous consequences for everybody.
- Make due with what you have and improvise what you don’t have when at all possible.
- Hypothermia can be avoided by taking off wet clothes and huddling for warmth, when making a fire for warmth is impossible or impractical, such as when being hunted!
- Use the buddy system… staying together helps to keep your wits about you… and often reinforce your resolve to work together to live.
At the end of the day, whatever it takes to survive is what it takes.
Add Black Rock to your survival movie library, and I hope you enjoy it at least as much as I did!
What are your favorite survival movies of all time?
Speak Your Mind Below!!!
Like this article? AWESOME it is! Awesome YOU ARE!